[cod] install help?

orr orr at cadetmail.uscga.edu
Sun Jan 18 23:04:51 EST 2004

Well, the game.mp.i386.so is not loading (captain obvious to the rescue!!!!)

it's looking for the file in the hidden directory .callofduty first, then
looking in your visible directory next.  I recommend you go to both of those
directories and see if the file is actually there.  (note that the
.callofduty directory will not list after a "ls" command unless you do
"ls -a").
i can think of a couple possibilities:
a.) you didn't extract/copy the file from the CD
b.) permissions aren't set properly

if the file's present in either directory, then a.) is not the issue, and
b.) probably is.

if you think one of these is the problem, heres what you do to fix it:
a.) check out this thread on the forums by Corven
http://www.callofduty.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=91126#post91126:
it lists all the files you need to have extracted/copied.  obviously,
game.mp.i386.so is one of them.  i'm not sure which compressed file it's in
on the CD, though =(((
b.) if you are familiar with chmod, AND IF THE game.mp.i386.so FILE IS
THERE, chmod 755 the file, and that should fix it.  I don't see how this
could be the issue, though, unless you installed the stuff as root.... in
which case ur gonna hafta su over to root to change the permissions =/.
type "man chmod" if you're unfamiliar with chmod.

i noticed that your hidden .callofduty (the . means its hidden) directory is
under /root, so I assume you setup the server logged in as root?  if so, tsk
tsk (shakes finger).  I don't think this is the cause of the error you
pasted into the email, but i know that *my* call of duty directory is
/home/yimboli/CoD, and the hidden one is /home/yimboli/.callofduty ... note
the similar paths.  that doesnt mean yours is messed up, i'm just observing
the difference.  the difference might be cause by the fact that i'm using
slackware... i can only assume you don't since i never meet many on these
forums that do =P

-Tim