[cod] server not showing in browsing list

Joe Brown joe at overdrivepc.com
Mon Feb 2 22:58:35 EST 2004

You probably need to have your servers off-line for ~2 hours.

Q3 master server requires ~2 hours to drop a server from the list, so it
makes sense that CoD master would require similiar amount of time.

I mange 4 servers on one box and only the one on port 27960 was showing
up in the master server list until I took the remaining ones off line
for ~2 hours.  Presumably they were still in the master list as 1.1
servers. They were never down long enough during the changeover from 1.1
to 1.2 to be dropped from that list.

AFAIK the master server doesn't keep any information on a servers except
address, protocol and maybe server type.  Clients request a list from
the master based on a couple of qualifiers and recieve a bunch of ip
addresses.  Then they ping each address the master sends to get the
details.  A command "getinfo" or "getstatus" is issued by the in-game
server browser, or utils like ASE.  The amount of time it takes to
retrieve the details is the "ping" time.  If a 1.1 server replies to a
1.2 client, the answer is probably not formatted correctly and you end
up with garbage in the game-browser.

I guess the master server only populates the database of active servers
the first time they hear from a game server.  Then they ping the game
server every so often to see if it's still alive.  If they haven't heard
from a server after a period of time (~2 hours) that server gets dropped
from the list of active servers.  The next time it shows up again, it
gets a new entry in the master server listing.

Now a lot of that is conjecture and educated guessing based on Q3
experience, but it's fairly accurate.

Dunno if they'll fix the master server...  I wouldn't say it's broke,
you guys are just too fast at upgrading all of your CoD servers :)