[bf1942] Server connection problem

"Einar S. Idsø" esi at itk.ntnu.no
Thu Jul 13 09:00:03 EDT 2006

I am almost *positive* that the freezes occur exactly when a new player
enters the server, and I am almost *positive* that there is a problem
with your DNS-server. The thing that happens is that the server contacts
gamespy for rank-data for the new player, ant it _always_ looks up the
DNS of bf2web.gamespy.com. The server will hang while the server
receives rank-data. We had this exact problem on our servers, and it
took me ages to figure it out. We ended up using a newer DNS-server. An
alternative is to enter the IP of the gamespy server into your
hosts-file, but that is not really a permanent solution.

Just time a couple of nslookups to see how fast the DNS server is.

Cheers,
Einar
Kybber, servermanager @ Battlefield.no