[bf1942] Possible to disable commander?

Per Kristiansen per at gathering.org
Thu May 19 05:33:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:07:18AM -0500, Neal Clayton wrote:
> I've seen interviews floating about about BF2 but haven't seen anything
> set in stone about server options.
>
> Will it be possible to disable the commander position for match play in
> BF2 on the server side?   The main concern stems from this article from
> someone who's played it in a recent demonstration...

It's been mentioned both here and in a couple of the interviews that it will
be possible to disable commander mode from server side.

> http://www.totalbf2.com/news/tbi1.php
>
> The problem is the ability to see enemies on a radar is the "holiest of
> holies" as far as Battlefield games go.  99% of all cheaters banned from
> competition have been banned for radar use, and the competitive
> community won't really take well to a person on each team having a
> radar.  It would look quite silly if people banned for cheating with an
> illegal radar couldn't play a game that had a built-in radar ;).

Also the radar mentioned is not what I would call "Gods eye" :)
individual units are TINY! , you see Tanks and such pretty okay, and theres
also a slight diffrence in "radar cheats" and "BF2 radar", that being that not
EVRYONE can use it, it is one guy who must communicate what he sees on it
to the other people, something that is suprisingly difficult actually :)

--
Per Kristiansen
per at gathering.org