[bf1942] Server requirements

Andreas Andersson andreas.andersson at dice.se
Mon May 9 08:43:30 EDT 2005

Sorry for not answering your mail, things is quite hectic here at the  moment so I'm having trouble keeping up... :/

I'm afraid I do not have any more info on that then AF did. We have not compared the 32/64 bit servers like that. Could be an interesting thing to do though...

I can say is that the Dual-opteron machine with 2 GB of memory
, that AF was talking about, can more then well handle 64 players.

And we got another machine the other week. An AMD Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB Ram. Not surprisingly, this machine could also handle 64 players without sweating :)

I have to confess, I'm not updated on the latest hardware. But as I have understood things, the EMT is not really a fullblown 64bit processor. It's just a 32-bit modified to be able to use more then 4GB's memory. But I might very well be totally of track here...
And there is currently no plan on releasing EMT-specific binaries.

Based on that I think that Opterons might be a better choice for you.

Sorry that I can't help you further...

/Andreas