Server requirements

"Einar S. Idsø" esi at itk.ntnu.no
Fri May 6 04:04:30 EDT 2005

Hi Andreas A., nice to meet you! I am so very glad to see that Dice have
come up with some excellent solutions to many of our concerns
(Linux-server (doh!), Py-interface, logging etc.). Great job!

I don't know if you were subscribing to this list at the time, but a few
days ago I asked Andreas F. about what kind of improvements we may
expect from the 64-bit Linux server as compared to the 32-bit. Do you
have any percentages to share at this time? We're currently trying to
figure out what kind of servers to purchase before the launch, and would
therefore be very interested in your views as to whether a dual Opteron
or a dual Xeon (with EMT64) would be better. Would perhaps a dual-core
AMD 64 be just as good as a dual Opteron system? Do you only support AMD
64, or is EMT64 supported as well? Also, how much RAM should we provide
for a 64-player server?

Any info you can give us regarding hardware would be most appreciated so
that we can spend our money wisely.

Thanks,
Einar S. Idsø
Kybber at Battlefield.no (bf2.no), Norway's largest Battlefield community