[bf1942] BF2 linux server at launch

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Tue May 3 03:50:43 EDT 2005

On 5/3/05, "Einar S. Idsø" <esi at itk.ntnu.no> wrote:

> A quick question that I am hoping you can answer: The interview at IGSOA
> states that the 64-bit version of the server will have "significant
> performance increases". Do you have any numbers here? Are we talking 20%
> increase, 50%, 100% :D

At the time the code base wasn't very optimized yet, so the only
observation I could make at the time was that the AMD-64/Linux version
was much faster than the 32-bit version running on windows.

It might be related to the nature of that particular machine (a dual
Opteron) which has a NUMA-style memory architecture with local memory
busses for each CPU. 32-bit Intel boxes have nothing like this.

Quite frankly I believe that most of the speed boost comes from the
improved memory bandwidth rather than the CPUs themselves, so I expect
the final, optimized code to narrow the performance gap when the
product is released.

It's great value for hosting providers though, because it means better
server performance any way you look at it.

// Andreas