[bf1942] BF Conversion - Project AutoMap

Dave Snodgrass packtloss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:05:33 EDT 2005

We've asked. I dont think anyone it dice sees the logic.

Here's the comment from dice CTO:

"I think the main problem here is that the maps are generally just too
large to easily download on demand. While it would be possible to
conjure up some sort of BitTorrent-like downloading scheme, it's far
from trivial to implement in a reliable way.

Some other games do have auto-download but in my experience it's of
little use due to the way it's typically implemented. In a game such
as RTWC:ET I generally hit ESC as soon as a map download screen shows
up simply because it's boring to sit there and wait for 10 minutes for
it to finish. If I'm playing I want to play, not stare at a progress
bar. "