[bf1942] Sorting out the lag-issue

Andreas Andersson andreas.andersson at dice.se
Wed Jun 29 09:47:06 EDT 2005

Hello,

This is very interesting. We have not seen any relation between VoIP and
the rubberband-bug. But that's not saying that there is no relation.
Could you please report if this removes the bug or maybe if it doesn't?

I thought I should give an update on what we know about this bug.

We have been working hard with this here and have found several bugs in
the networking code that could explain things. Some of the fixes were
included in the demo, which is a later build than the one we sent out to
production (2446.12 > 2442). This explains why people haven't seen the
issue as much there. Other fixes was done after 2446, and will be
included in the patch we will release "soon".

It wasn't really an issue with the speed of the internet-connection or
the speed of the machine running the server. It was rather how the
server prioritized which objects it should send updates about to which
clients. If the client doesn't receive object-updates it will try to
update their position based on the latest information it has (basic
interpolation). This makes objects behave weird when updates are not
frequent enough.

Hopefully we have fixed all issues concerning this. If not we should at
least have made things a lot better. I guess we'll see the truth of it
when we release the patch :)

/AndreasA