[bf1942] BF Conversion - Project AutoMap

Atomm Nihilo - Gamers Radio atomm at gamersradio.com
Mon Jun 27 10:46:31 EDT 2005

Andreas,

 This is part of the reason I wanted to post this to the list. From my
experience, you can do anything you want with code, it's just a matter
of figuring out how. ;-) You know this stuff more than anyone. Thinking
outside the box, could a client side python script be written to
interact with the server and place the maps in the correct location?

 From what I could figure out, the whole Demo download process was basic
the exact same thing I am proposing. The server offers a link to the map
and the client puts it in the correct location. It's already being done
with the Demo, so how can we do this with the maps?

 As for map size of the maps, let's create a proof of concept, then
figure out how to use compression to minimize the bandwidth impact.
Another thought is if everyone offered this, maps would only have to be
downloaded once. Eventually, the more popular custom maps will be
offered all over the place and you will get an economy of scale. In
fact, it would actually take less bandwidth over time than offering
every single player a demo copy of every single match.

--
Atomm Nihilo
Head Lunatic