[bf1942] Centos Linux 4.1: Server does not start: Illegal instruction

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:49:28 EDT 2005

On 6/22/05, Bastiaan <Bastiaan at wikoshop.com> wrote:
> Really thanks for telling me this! i kind of was despered. Do you have
> any idea if an `old` AMD Athlon supports the SSE instruction set?
>
> Cause i think i have one laying around here somewhere :) then i just put
> that one in!

IIRC the old Athlon cores didn't support SSE, they started doing so
when they got the -XP badge slapped on.

An easy way to check this is to boot Linux on the box and do:

$ grep ^flags /proc/cpuinfo

Example output (from a fairly recent P4 box):
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr

Check for the presence of 'sse', and 'mmx'.

// Andreas

--
And I hate redundancy, and having different functions for the same thing.
        - Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel