+overlayPath and friends

"Einar S. Idsø" esi at itk.ntnu.no
Mon Jun 20 06:40:11 EDT 2005

In BF1942 and Vietnam, we had the option +overlayPath which indicated an
alternative directory in which to place settings-files such as
serversettings.con, maplist.con, punkbuster-files etc. This was quite
handy since we could keep all settings in one dir away from the main
installation and thereby run more than one instance of BF2 on a box with
a single installation of the server software.

In BF2 I have only found the following (./start.sh +help):

+config  -  Sets path to the ServerSettings.con file to use
+mapList  -  Sets the path to the MapList.con file to use
+pbPath  -  Set the path to use for PunkBuster on multi-instance
configurations (defaults to {install_dir}/pb

The first two have to point to specific files, whereas the second points
to a pb directory. In serversettings.con we can set all the involved
ports so as to avoid port collission when running more than one server
on a box. However, there is one port that is handled differently: rcon.
It is "hardcoded" in admin/default.py, but it is possible to override
this by placing a file default.cfg next to default.py and let it contain
this:
port=4712
password=thisseemstowork

The problem is, obviously, that this is a global override of the port!
How can I specify that server 1 running on the machine should use rcon
port 4711 and the other should use port 4712?

A possible solution I thought of was if the gameport is available within
python somewhere, e.g. under the "host" or "bf2" instances, then the
rcon port can be calculated based on that port (rcon_port = 4711 +
game_port - 16567, for instance). But I have been unable to locate that
setting.

Another possible solution would be to include a command in the wrapper
script used to start bf2 in chich a default.cfg is copied to the
admin-dir right before launch. That is not a good solution, IMO.

Any clues?

And while I'm at it: Would it be possible to get a list of the options
to start.sh with a better explanation of what they do? For instance,
what does the following mean?
 +multi  -  Allow starting multiple BF2 instances

Additionally: start.sh +help lists many options that aren't available
for the Linux-server (such as +fullscreen), and it ends with the following:
 +checkForPatch
 +ai
fatal error: argument parsing failed

Cheers,