[bf1942] BF2 server AMD vs Intel comparison

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 09:58:12 EDT 2005

We've tested in the past and found that for game servers it was a slight
hit in performance.

Not to mention that HT presents a security issue due to the shared
processor cache i.e. a thread on the logical processor can access the
information of the thread on the real processor even though it not
ment to.

See the following for more info:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:09.htt.asc

N.B. its not OS specific

Note: BF2 does make some use of threading as when we where
testing a 64 player server on a 2.8 Xeon we got it to report 118%
CPU on inspection there is a second thread which actually does
do some processing on a regular basis all be it a small amount.

    Steve / K