[bf1942] ramdisk

Michael Ressen netadmin at michiganburbs.com
Fri Jun 10 13:45:28 EDT 2005

Aubrey King wrote:

> Please let me know what you find.  If nothing else, the maps must still
> be cached, which means a negligible ammount of i/o.  If map load times
> were decreased, that'd make my gameplay much happier. :)
>
> Aubrey King
> Systems Administrator II
> IP Systems Engineering
> Global Crossing, Ltd.

Aubrey,

Ask Matt about this - he had this idea AGES ago to run CS servers this
way, and I think he actually did some work on it.   I recall some
discussion about what pros/cons, and the fact that it would indeed speed
up map load times, but if the clients couldn't load maps faster than the
server could, it wouldn't make much difference....plus there was the I/O
issue.    I think we drove ourselves mental one night talking about it.
   I think we were drunk too.   ;)

/BA