[bf1942] Issues regarding "ranked servers"

InCisT InCisT at Popsikle.net
Tue Jun 7 01:57:55 EDT 2005

Joe wrote:

>The solution that has been brought up by many admins, in many forums and on
>lists, is to provide a way to enable a local stat database. Even if it's
>just doable via the py engine and remains a third party product that would
>be a very great in-between. It would lack the 'global' effect of their
>rankings, be subject to shady administration, but still give the server
>owners access to all of the game's features.
>
>We run selectbf on our webserver. It has its quirks, but surely it could be
>lightly modded to work with bf2 & ranks (SQL+php based, for those that don't
>know. Parser is in java). I'm betting unlocks won't be available via the
>python interface, even if stat/rank logging is (for parsing by something
>such as selecbtf). Quite disappointing, but at this point expected..

I plan to mod my parser (all php based, support for multiple servers for
a combined ranking, or filtering out just for the servers in the groups
you play on, filtering for class/gun/armor/whatever) and stats over
ASAP, but I have alot of work to do for this switch, not sure how long
it would take me ;(  I will throw a URL on this list when its done.  Im
not condoning hacking the server, but if the weapons and packs and such
are in the client side files, and in the server files, they will be
unlocked shortly after release, you can count on the hackers and
crackers when you cant count on the software makers.

InCisT