[bf1942] Issues regarding "ranked servers"

Rick Thompson rick at fortweb.com
Sun Jun 5 14:28:54 EDT 2005

I am pretty certain it has been determined and verified that admins will be
able to choose to use weapons restrictions or not. Unless I misunderstood,
that has been mentioned here a few times in the last week.

Not that I disagree with you about their attitude and obvious grab for the
server market.

This whole ranking thing is a bunch of hype and bs anyway. Does anyone
think it will be cheat and exploit free? If it is, it will be the first
ranking system ever that was. It really adds nothing to the game but
overhead and a huge amount of work to manage which is time that *should*
have went into the game instead.

In my experience, stats do more to hurt a team based game than anything.
Secondly, I think it will limit the userbase, especially if leagues require
ranked servers. A large percentage of gamers simply can't afford EA's prices.

On the bright side, we can always ignore BF2 and continue to host UT/BF
servers. I am not even going to buy the game to try it until I see how this
whole ranking thing plays out.

Rick