[bf1942] 32 bit versus 64 bit

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at MatureAsskickers.net
Sat Jul 30 12:26:31 EDT 2005

--On Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:14 AM -0500 Jay Vasallo
<jayco1 at charter.net> wrote:

> Reason for me asking is this. I notice on the 64 bit quad four servers,
> the server will crash if set to 64 players. Have to lower them to 50
> players so processes stay below 99.9. Dual p4's , 32 bit, won't. So I am
> guessing 64 bit was not thought out well?

64 bit compilers are not as mature as 32 bit ones. We've had 32 bit for,
what, 15 years? Games are the most demanding app most people run. (There's
big DB's, but the deployments are far fewer in number and the people
writing them are more seasoned.) So they're bound to find the bugs in the
tools.