[bf1942] HTML Posting sucks

Flight 800 Flight800 at Comcast.net
Mon Jul 18 18:40:48 EDT 2005

> So funny..List-Daddy needs to force one or the other eventually..
>
> I got a private email from someone a while back requesting I
> default to HTML. On another list I use with this same
> account, I was posting HTML per a public request and had
> another private request to post plaintext.

Once and for all, the proper way to post a question or comment to a mailing
list, is just as I have done here.  Quoting relevant parts of past
statements above, and adding your own comments below them.  Any software
developer here who has spent time on a lot of technical mailing lists, knows
this all too well I'm sure.

Taken from an old red hat mailing list I'm on:

--- start ---
-- Contextual quoting is preferred, i.e.

		Quoting user1 (<user1 at somedomain.redhat.com>):
		> Some limited text that will give context.

		Your reply.

    versus

		Your reply, lazily put at the top.

		Quoting user1 (<user1 at somedomain.redhat.com>):
		> The whole big blob of the previous posts, including
		> signatures and all

	In fact, the author of the program stops following a thread
	the moment this lazy quoting method is used. He figures that
	if you can't take half a minute of your time to save multiple
	minutes of the readers time, the heck with ya.

For those who are new to technical mailing lists, or think HTML email is the
way to go:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html