[bf1942] largedownloads DNS

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at MatureAsskickers.net
Sat Jul 16 20:46:22 EDT 2005

--On Saturday, July 16, 2005 5:54 PM -0400 Steve Getman
<steve at lightcubed.com> wrote:

> Over-all it's an impressive setup.  Allows the sites I manage to handle
> huge spikes in traffic without adding more boxes on our end. (i.e. we
> have handled a roadblock advertisement on Yahoo/MSN on three origin
> servers and existing network infrastructure without breaking a sweat,
> thousands of simultaneous users, 100s of mbps.)  It's not cheap but is
> better than having excess capacity sitting around.

For those small fry who need free caching, check out the Coral Cache:

<http://www.coralcdn.org/>

This is good if you find something neat and want to tell SlashDot about it.
Keeps the "victim" site from melting down under the unexpected load.

ISP's could benefit from a BitTorrent cache, since a lot of torrent traffic
goes beyond ISP boundaries, artificially inflating their bandwidth costs.