[bf1942] largedownloads DNS

Steve Getman steve at lightcubed.com
Sat Jul 16 17:54:58 EDT 2005

Correct.  The product is called Edgesuite.  Akamai has colocated servers
with 1100 (as of six or so months ago so probably more now) physical
locations.  Each colocation has a minimum of 3 load balanced servers.
When a request is made for a file, their DNS entry points you at the
nearest location (not necesarily geographically, it uses real time ping
stats to choose the closest but in most cases that box will be in your
upstream provider's datacenter.)  So if you're linked to the 'net
through Comcast in Chicago, chances are you'll hit some boxes that are
in the pop there.  Those boxes will look in their cache and see if the
URI you are requesting is located on the local system.  If so, it serves
it to you right from there and your traffic never even hits the public
Internet.     If not, it makes a request to the origin server and stores
the content for the next person.  Cache can be set to timeout at any
time or forced to flush if you push something to the web site (process
takes about 8 min or less to propagate).  Even when you do have to go to
the origin server it uses a proprietary routing system which
automatically routes around slow connections, theoretically giving you
the fastest route to the host.  Lastly, the system uses compression on
the last mile connection to shave a few more k off the transfer.  (Not
all that useful in these cases since the files are already compressed.)

Over-all it's an impressive setup.  Allows the sites I manage to handle
huge spikes in traffic without adding more boxes on our end. (i.e. we
have handled a roadblock advertisement on Yahoo/MSN on three origin
servers and existing network infrastructure without breaking a sweat,
thousands of simultaneous users, 100s of mbps.)  It's not cheap but is
better than having excess capacity sitting around.

Steve