[bf1942] Hotfix release time upgraded from 'soon' to 'not far off'

|TF20|Shockwave shockwave at clan-tf20.com
Fri Jul 15 10:44:39 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Latham" <leeprivate at cgmlarson.com>
To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [bf1942] Hotfix release time upgraded from 'soon' to 'not far
off'

> In their defense, as a software professional myself, I can tell you that
> they are just trying to not lie about it.   If you ever give a customer an
> estimated date, they always treat it as a promised delivery date, so it's
> better, when possible, to be vague.

I am a software developer as well and we always give customers a firm date.
Being vague may give you wiggle room but it also sends the message that you
don't have a firm grasp on either the situation or your ability to deal with
it effectively.  The potential problem is not missing a deadline as much as
it is not communicating effectively with the client.  If a deadline is not
going to be met, the trick is to contact the client ahead of time to let
them know.  Too often people wait until the deadline is past before
commenting on the status of a given job.  That's what makes people upset.
There is simply no substitute for clear and precise communication between
involved parties.  It's too bad that those in charge of BF2 have yet to
learn this lesson.

Shockwave