[bf1942] How could DICE agree to this??

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Wed Feb 16 12:29:26 EST 2005

On 2/16/2005 9:19 AM, Dave Snodgrass wrote:
> However - I would be willing to bind my servers to a credit card number
> or some other way of indicating a) age b) legitimacy . Possibly even tie
> servers that want to send stat info to EA to my cd-key. If they discover
> spoofed data, i agree to allow my cd key (and therefore any ranked users
> tied to the key) to be destroyed

You might be prepared to do this, but I think you'd be in a minority.
The idea that you can't fully use the game unless you play on an
"official" server is sheer lunacy. All my clanmates, and server regulars
pretty much play on our server only. If people need to jump on an
official server to boost their rank, it will destroy the community.

I mean.. I have a dual opteron machine with 2GB of ram, sitting on a
100Mbps connection which is basically dedicated to running BF based
games. We're already uncertain about whether we're going to move to BF2,
and this is just another reason to tip the balance in favour of not
doing so (which would result in at least 100 people or so not buying the
game. Small potatoes, I'm sure, but I bet it adds up fast).

If anyone from DICE is still reading this list.. it would be nice to
know if the interview is indeed correct, or if we're worrying about nothing.

James