[bf1942] How could DICE agree to this??
sechon at blackmud.com
Wed Feb 16 11:46:36 EST 2005
Yeah, limit the ranking to the official EA noobfest servers. That'll do a
lot of good.
If they lock down earning ranks to EA servers only, do they expect private
server admins to honor those ranks in their config files? Hell no!
They should require that the private servers register with them to provide
the ranking/stats connection. Register on EA, hell even a small monthly fee
for 'maintaince' of their ranking backend would be perfectly fine especially
with some of us larger gaming groups.
It's not even like the official EA servers are well moderated........I had
high hopes, but all of the news to late is souring that. :(
From: Steven Hartland [mailto:killing at multiplay.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:32 AM
To: bf1942 at icculus.org
Subject: Re: [bf1942] How could DICE agree to this??
I must say this is concerning. Ranked players is one thing, but
only enabling rank building on official services is a sure fire way
to kill the community very quickly.
From reading this I would suggest the following changes:
1. Ranking on all servers or at least "registered" servers.
2. The ability to turn off racking totally in the server config.
3. The ability to enable all weapons in the server config.
4. The ability to limit the max rank in the server config.
With the above all quality servers can gain people rank
and things like public servers can be a level playing
field, with experienced players only benefiting purely
from better play and not also getting an unfair advantage
making the game inaccessible to the new players.
Steve / K
----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Wolberg
Did anyone else see this interview? A former customer of mine showed it
All this sounds great, but a few more details have come out that are of
1. Higher ranks get access to exclusive 'unlock' weapons
2. Higher ranks are the default choice for 'commander'
3. Only EA servers (offical and those rented from EA) will be 'ranking'
servers (eg: players can only earn rank when playing on EA servers)
4. Ranks will still be visible on unranked servers and therefore ranked
players can get access to the unlocked weapons on unranked servers (and
potentially a factor in determining who is commander)
5. Unranked servers can 'turn off' unlockable weapons, but cant
universally unlock them for all players
As you can imagine this creates a series of issues:
1. Inbalance between players with access to unlocked weapons and those
without (especially for casual gamers or those late to the game)
- plus will regular players on unranked (nonEA) servers get have to hand
over 'commander mode' to anyone who has a rank (which he carried over from
the EA servers)
2. Inbalance between EA servers and private servers (such as the ECGN
public servers or those rented from ECGN)
- Are the 'unranked' servers going to become 'ghost towns'?
Personally I think giving ranks anything more than bragging rights is a
mistake (eg: special weapons). And I think only providing them on EA servers
and EA rented servers is blackmail. They did this with Americas Army and it
didnt work out that well.
This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and
the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection,
the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
disseminating it or any information contained in it.
In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone (023) 8024 3137
or return the E.mail to postmaster at multiplay.co.uk.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Bf1942