[bf1942] Pure Mode

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:45:08 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, Rüdiger <Webmaster at robin1977.de> wrote:
> Who can tell me, how to switch pure mode off at Battlefield 2 windows
> unranked Server (latest version)?

"Pure" mode isn't optional with BF2 (or BF:Vietnam). I learned from
BF1942 that modders found it difficult to generate valid signature
files for the BF1942 "pure" mode.

The BF2 and BF:V engines use archive signatures instead, so that
clients are challenged for random pieces of their archive files. This
works better because it is no longer required that .con files are
layed out in a certain way, a common source of errors with BF1942
mods.

That said, I know that when we were in development you could just
erase the signature files and have the server let anyone in, but I'm
not sure that still works with the release server. Move these files
away and see what happens.

Note that if you manage to get this running I don't believe there's
any hint to the world that you've disabled the archive signatures, so
this could stump people that expect a fair game. I know the engine
keeps track of whether the signature database has been loaded so it
would be trivial to expose it over gamespy, menu issues aside.

Hope this helps,
Andreas (the original :)

--
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."