[bf1942] BF2 server discussion

kama kama at pvp.se
Sat Oct 23 14:14:32 EDT 2004

Sorry for the late reply...

While the 5.3 seems to be the new stablebranch, there are things to
consider. with 5.3 the ULE will not be default as first anounced. it will
still be the old scheduler (4BSD). This due to the fact that ULE is
considered broken and the time fixing it will break the timeline
increadably. In 5.3 there still will be a lot of slow code implemented,
but when 5.3 is released, they will start tweaking the system. 5.5 will
probably be the version where you will see what the new system is getting
a boost in performance and all the experemental feature bits have fallen
in to place...

I have noticed that 4.10 is much more responsive than 5.2.1 under load. I
have set up a system that handles a lot of trafic. the 4.10 could handle
aprox twice the load. I am currently thinking of switching my 5.x
gameservers to 4.10 due to how it is operating with load.

One other thing to consider is that when BF2 is released, FreeBSD is
probably bumped to at least 5.4... I think the 5.3->5.4 cycle is going to
be quite short. There are a lot of things that are ready but not
implemented to the 5.3-branch.

One thing they have fixed is the nasty kernel spinlock bug. I have only
encountered the bfvserver to work with the system in such way that this
bug occures. hlds, srcds and ucc are not making the kernel panic. The bug
happens during closing TCP-connections. And are the program closing the
connection "wrongly", this spinlock kernel panic occures. This might be
the BBO that are making the spinlock on the bfvserver. This server is now
4.10 and people are reporting that it is more responsive than before.

Andreas: One thing that are annoying is the problem that you need to set
the HZ quite low to have the bfX-server to opereate correctly. When I had
it bumped to 1000, all crazy things happened. client-connections got
closed the server started to get laggy.. when setting it down to 400 on a
SMP system the server started to operate much smoother.. this is kind of
backwards.. All the other gameservers get a bump when setting the HZ
higher.

/Bjorn