[bf1942] BF2 Server?

Stefan Engbersen stonex at freebsd.nl
Fri Nov 26 18:27:57 EST 2004

Michael Ressen wrote:

> Andreas Fredriksson wrote:
>

>> Sean Decker (BF2's producer) explicitly said it was OK to share this
>> information with you, so I am. He is the one calling the shots on
>> large-scale planning in the project.
>>
>> I'm sad to say that my managers have assigned me to other areas over
>> the course of this project and I will most likely not get the time I
>> would need to bring you a high quality Linux server at ship time.
>>
>> I really wanted to make this product launch with excellent Linux
>> support from the start, but it's not my call.
>>
>> // Andreas

Sad to see some people don't see the importance of a linux based
serverversion. Same as the need for a demorecording or proxy spectate
tool, which is finally almost released (3rd party) for BF1942.
I'm sure 90% of all BF42/Vietnam servers on the internet at the moment
are hosted on linux/posix/*bsd systems, too bad this is not included by
the queryport or gamespy port as info, otherwise you would have had hard
proof.
Anyway what BA writes is true, see Halo,Joint ops,IGI,IGI2 all brilliant
games, but nowhere near the popularity of BF1942, those games didnt have
a linuxbased server from the start and never had one afaik.
It's very hard to find companies for these games to host and if they
find one, you pay a lot for a winblows server. It would be in Dice's
commercial interest to release a linuxserver, to boost the community.
Also we hope to see good patchsupport, a smooth engine and not too many
bugs, because we don't want another joke like BF:Vietnam.

/stx