Crazy CPU use with SMP kernels

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Mon May 3 19:12:30 EDT 2004

I've read all the information I can find about the problems with the BF
server and SMP kernels, but I haven't found if anyone has a workaround
for this yet.

I have a server running on an SMP box with kernel 2.6.6rc2 (running
gentoo), and it uses about 20% cpu when there is no-one connected. Also,
during map changes, it spikes to 100% cpu for about a minute or so, and
then proceeds with the loading. Before we went SMP, the load was much,
much quicker than this and did not spike to 100%.

Has anyone got any suggestions for this? Perhaps a kernel compile option
which could be enabled/disabled? Based on various forum posts, I tried
disabling APM, but that made no difference. Obviously I can't disable
SMP, because then we won't have support for the hardware..

Cheers,

James