[bf1942] Verification required for whoccares at comcast.net, protected by 0Spam.com.

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Sat Mar 20 15:36:04 EST 2004

On 3/20/2004 11:47 AM, Rick Thompson wrote:
> I agree with your sentiments on Qmail and majordomo. Don't get me wrong,
> I have always thought majordomo was a pita to install

I recommend ecartis instead: http://www.ecartis.org - Been using it for
years. It's easy to set up, works great, etc. Not sure about how it
works with qmail, because I use postfix, but I imagine it's pretty much
the same.

I don't agree with you on your opinion on this btw. Whitelists are a
dumb way to solve the spam problem regardless of how the list software
works. If everyone used a whitelist system, no-one would ever see the
whitelist requests and email would stop working entirely. Increasing the
hassle for everyone trying to send email simply moves the inconvenience
of spam away from the recipient and into the lap of every single other
person sending them mail. I think that's kind of an arrogant way to behave.

I personally like the idea of greylisting, although it has some problems
that need to be overcome before it really takes off, but it's a good
idea. For details see here: http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

James