[bf1942] Verification required for whoccares at comcast.net, protected by 0Spam.com.

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Sat Mar 20 09:28:20 EST 2004

I tried to discuss this rationally a few weeks ago but was shouted down for
bringing up the reality of it.

The reason we see this over and over and over again on this list is because
of the way it operates. People are used to majordomo because it has been
the standard for mailing lists forever. Nothing wrong with this software
but most people are automatically going to assume it's majordomo and
whitelist icculus.org.

There will be the occasional clueless idiot who uses a protected email
without whitelisting at all and then wonder why they never get any mail.
The majority of them are not ignorant rookies though, they will whitelist
icculus.org, find the error quickly and correct it. Nobody whitelists
"Mailing-List:" anymore because it whitelists a large number of spammers.

As long as you guys use this software instead of majordomo we might as well
get used to seeing this because it is going to continue to happen often. I
don't know if you can config it to use a list domain instead of the senders
but that is the only thing that would prevent it. The simple fact of the
matter is that people use this stuff for spam protection and there is
nothing anyone can do about that.

Before I get accused of being off topic again or slammed just for bringing
up the obvious, let me say that I don't care what your take on spam or
spamprotection is. The question of 0spam type services being effective is
not relevant. People use it and because mailman functions differently than
majordomo, we are going to have to get used to seeing that reply.

There *are* several solutions however.

1. Kill every spammer out there (preferably with a claw hammer, starting at
the ankles).
This solution is not very realistic but it does give me a warm feeling
inside to think about.

2. Adopt an auto-cancel policy when seeing that subject. This would not be
real effective because the person would just signup again not even knowing
what went wrong. I am aware there are people out there who think of this
option as the best solution but I am confident more rational minds would
not consider it.

3. Put a big notice at the top of the list signup response with "NOTICE TO
SPAM PROTECTION USERS" that tells people email will be coming from the
senders address and not to whitelist just the icculus.org domain.

This is probably the most practical solution and I think the majority of
people would get it right the first time.

Rick