[bf1942] BFVCC & BFVC3 ?

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Tue Mar 16 19:08:22 EST 2004

I can't believe I see people complaining about the server, you people
complaining must be new to this because I have never seen such an attempt
to get a nix dedicated server out prior to the release of the game. This
guy busted his ass to get it to the point it is at now and anyone reading
this list should be able to see that.

Complaining about testing? What the hell do you think you are doing right
now? This is brand new and if your not ready to accept bugs being present
you should  not be running it. You can't have it both ways... new ded
server released before the game is out plus fully tested... come on now, be
serious.

Complaining about communication? Man, I can't understand that at all. I see
outstanding communication between the developer and the userbase taking
place right here. If you honestly think this server/game release was poorly
orchestrated you should try hosting Valve servers for awhile so you can
gain an understanding of what the benchmark for a poor release is.

There are some issues, that is true but do a reality check! You had a nix
server before the game was released, you had a number of the initial
(inevitable) bugs worked out when the game went live and you have people
actively working to tie up loose ends as fast as you can find them... what
else can you ask for?

I won't buy the game until we can host the server. We won't host a server
until we can sell them and we won't sell them until we have an admin tool
available that allows control without direct machine access.

Not real happy about that because I am *really* looking forward to this
game. However, I am confident it is going to happen fast and the topic has
been beat to death over the last couple of weeks here so I think the point
has been made, a good admin tool will be instrumental to the success of
this game.

Even if an admin tool was available on release I still would not have
installed the server right away. We have been doing this long enough to
know that it can be accomplished two ways...

1. Install brand new server right away and then fight it / install patches
every day for a week or two.

2. Wait a week or two and install a stable version in five minutes after
the early installers have identified all the serious problems.

Rick