[bf1942] bf1942 max # players question

Peter Chang peter.chang at dicecanada.com
Mon Mar 15 20:19:02 EST 2004

> From: Brigham Stevens [mailto:brs at vikingmind.com]
> Subject: Re: [bf1942] bf1942 max # players question
>
> I have full root on the box... are there commands
> that I could use
> that would tell me the HDD ? I believe it is supposed to be
> 60GB UltraDMA
> 7200RPM hard drive.

check out /proc/ide. for teh drive that you are looking for (eg, hda) there
will be another directory w/ model settings etc

> Also, someone wanted me to check which network card I have...
> Are there
> commands to do that too?

i forget this one exactly, but you can do an lsmod or /proc/modules to see
which driver is loaded for it and that should give you a good idea.

> The CPU itself is spiking when the player count goes above
> 30.. and TOP does
> not show any spikes in any other processes (Don't know if
> disk access/network
> access are bundled into the aplication CPU usage or not)

time spent in the kernel (for interrupts etc) should be in 'system'

if you were cpu bound you should see soemthing like close to 100% user cpu
use. having large system utilization would mean that you're spending a lot
of time doing things like going to disk or network. once the server (bfv is
similar in this regard to bf1942) is runnning it doesn't go to disk a lot
(do you have logging enabled?)

\p