[bf1942] Vietnam dedicated server?

Neal Clayton xayd at vae-victus.org
Wed Mar 10 09:36:58 EST 2004

Did the original BF server work with 2.2 kernels?  I never tried it, but
the consensus on the forum was that 2.4.18 was the "suggested" minimum
kernel version to get everything running under with no issues.  If 2.2
works that's great I guess, but I don't think 2.2 compatibility is
absolutely necessary if it's something that will slow you guys down if
the original BF server didn't work with it, but someone correct me if
I'm wrong and it did work with 2.2 kernels.  I'm running Debian with
2.4.18 on on the 1.6 BF server with no issues at all.

I'm no programmer, so won't comment on the static links ;).

On the remote admin situation...

We've already had that argument on this list, and it's pretty obvious
that we're not gonna see any type of third party program with the 1.0
release nor are we gonna see anything other than the remote console that
ships with the game, but all flames about that aside, what we *need* if
the remote console is all we're getting is...

1) COMPLETE documentation about all the commands and what they do.
2) a COMPLETE list of what settings will "default" to something if
unspecified when the server is started
3) a COMPLETE list of what settings will be "off" if unspecified when
the server is started

I think a good start would be having the server print its current
settings to the console as output when it starts.  I don't mind having
to do things to the server via command line, and players who have
permission to change things on my server will learn the commands if they
must, but there's still not much documentation about the commands even
with the BF server especially as they relate to #2.  Those of us who
play this game competitively have a specific set of settings that must
be enabled/disabled for matches, and a huge problem imo is having
players copy and paste a list of settings given to them by whatever
league or tournanment, then finding out when they get in the game that
they didn't specify something and it's defaulted to a setting that they
must change, and they have to go searching for what it is to change it.
This is an issue as an example with BF1942 and the camera and TK punish
modes/restrictions.

Either the server has to print its settings to the console when started,
or there should be a command to manually print the settings to the
console to give people an idea of what they're dealing with and how the
server works, with BF1942 it was trial and error to find out what your
own server was doing.

If you really wanna do us a huge favor just cause you're in a giving
mood, a graphical app that interfaces with the server console such as
the app that Kevin with blackbagops.com wrote for originally for BF or
wrapper to a web script that interfaces with the server console would of
course be fantastic ;).  Since EA provides this to people who rent
servers from them, I don't see why it's too much to ask for them to give
that to us, after all we paid for the game too.