[bf1942] OT: /proc, top, ps broken in some linux kernels?

Luca Fabbro luca.fabbro at procne.it
Thu Jun 3 08:22:31 EDT 2004

I have the same problem running kernel 2.4.20 of a Slackware distro.
I've tried several machines XP1700+, XP1800+, XP2000+, XP2500+ and XP2800+
and also some PIII and P4. I noticed the same stange thing, some servers as
for example MOHAA, COD, BF1942, BFV, HLDS won't show the real CPU usage
while the machine has a low CPU load, other servers as Q3, SOF2, ET, JKO
and JKA seem to show the real CPU usage.
A lot of server as you said show a 0% of cpu usage (also in proc) but they
are really using more than 0 (of course). I've noticed that if the load of
the machine reaches a certain value things stats to show up as they really
are. I was running a server of COD of 18 players on an XP1700+, the cpu was
usually 0% but of course it wasn't the truth. I've also turned on on that
machine a Q3 server and had the following. When the q3 server was full the
cpu usage of the COD server was the one supposed to be that was for full
18/18 60% of cpu. 60% of COD plus around 25% of Q3 wich means 85% of load
of the machine. It seems that for a strange mechanism the kernel is not
able to identify the real CPU usage of certyain processes till the CPU is
heavilly loaded :(
BF1942 and BFVietnam for example will show a very low cpu usage untill they
start to be crowded, let's say at least 14 players, at this point I'll
notice a probable CPU usage starting from 20-25% depending on the machine.

Luca