[bf1942] Optimized binaries

Andreas Fredriksson andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Wed Jan 21 02:57:02 EST 2004

I actually benchmarked startup times and frame process times with various
optimizations and what really helps is to reduce the memory footprint of
the server process, i.e. only carefully selected inlining. Modern CPUs
often run heavily inlined code slower because an instruction cache miss
often make them stall on the instruction stream.

I've tried various optimizations during the 1.4 betas and there were no
visible changes in the performance, so currently the server is compiled
with moderate settings. This yields a resonably small executable
footprint and pretty good overall timings on most CPUs.

And as others have pointed out the new optimizing features can easily
cause unexpected results.

// Andreas