[bf1942] BF: Vietnam - BFCC to be bundled with it (OT)

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Fri Feb 27 20:10:59 EST 2004

That's too bad because we will close all six of our rentals if there is no
interface available to manage the server without ssh/ftp access to it.

We don't offer them for a living, we just happen to have the available
bandwidth/hardware for the business that does pay our bills. BBO makes
renting a handful of gameservers easy to justify because I can give it to
just about anyone and rarely need to deal with configuration issues. If we
had to support our average client through an ftp config of their server, we
would have far more time into hand holding and fixing wrecks than we do
now. That alone would negate any reason to rent servers but that aside, the
added security risk would kill them anyway because it's just not worth the
trouble.

Last I looked, the kicker server/client code was not ported to nix and
beyond that, nothing I know of has enough functionality to fully manage.
There will no doubt be software to replace it eventually but until there
is, the BF community will lose a half dozen low cost servers. I only need
one pub to play on so it's the only one out of seven that will stay online.

Rick