AW: [bf1942] Server Utilization

InCisT InCisT at popsikle.net
Fri Feb 13 00:24:17 EST 2004

Martin Steiger wrote:
> I am no provider, but I think I can imagine, how it works (at least a bit):
> You'll have a look, how much CPU resource a game uses in idle mode and when
> servers are full and you calculate, how many BF1942-games you could run per
> server (public and private mixed).
>
> Then you try to keep a balance of both of them and mix your private and
> public servers on your boxes, that they have best performance...
>
> Now (Incist, think about it), your (private) servers, of which you have two
> on it on your machine, start to use 10% CPU instead of 0% before, when
> they're idling... Which means, even if you have "only" 4 BF1942 servers
> running on this machine (2 private and 2 public), 40% of your CPU is used
> without having a player on it!!!
>
> If you're running only your clan-server, no need to really worry about it.
> But if you're a hoster, then that's a reason to worry...

I actually AM a game server host, which is part of the reason this eeks
me. You cant count on servers being empty anytime. IF you have two pubs
and two privs on the same box, and all are hammered when you count on
only 2 being hammered your not providing a good service. And people
wonder why 60% of the consumers think we are assholes. Personally I use
the bandwidth to determine how much a server costs, and pubs i figure
will use double a priv. IT doesnt matter how much proc they use when
empty or full because rackspace is cheap and hardware is cheap too.  If
you overload your boxes, so you can charge a dollar or two less per
slot, its ok really, I like the buisness you send me ;)  My customers
may pay 10$/more a month but hey, you get what you pay far, and my
servers dont lag. EVER.

InCisT