[bf1942] Changing maps in game..

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Sun Feb 8 17:51:37 EST 2004

I must apologize to the list for not have our nazi anti-spam configured
correctly. I assumed this was majordomo and only had whitelisted
icculus.org, I think I have enough keywords defined that everyone will get
through now.

PB was a welcome and much needed improvement overall. After watching Valves
utter failure with it's own inhouse anti-cheat, I would rather have a good
3rd party behind it with less questionable motives and priorities.

I was not bashing PB at all, my frustration was with the obvious
pre-release beta condition of this software and the absolute lack of
concise documentation. If some features don't work 100% I completely
understand, this is first release software so I even expect it to have
problems.

On the other hand, you can't tell me for one min that they did not know the
PB admin panel puts the http port in a closed wait state and won't allow a
user back in after the first map change. If they did not know it then that
is just plain poor testing procedures but I assume they did know.

That in itself is not a problem, we all know they will fix it. What is a
problem is that they can't take a few minutes to post a notice to that
effect anywhere on the web site.

The update docs at http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php
with pbweb sounds like it is the way to go for manual updates. There is a
nix file but we have tried it on 3 different servers and it seg faults
after getting the first lib file on all of them. I have to think this is
common if it happens under RH 7, 8 and 9 so why is the file even there?

Pbweb is redundant anyway. Apparently all it takes is to get the pbsvnew.so
file from the download page at
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf1942.php for a manual
upgrade. Between those two pages and a user manual not written for the
supported game, the confusion factor is high. Documentation and at the
least, acknowledgement of known problems is important... just as important
as the core software itself.

I like PB in concept and I appreciate what they are doing for the BF
community. I just hope that from this point forward they will give us
better documentation and be more prepared for releases. We are very
understanding but if something is not working, we just need to know about it.

Rick