[bf1942] The 1.61 patch

Andreas Fredriksson andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Wed Dec 8 02:21:43 EST 2004

I don't know what kind of admin support we will be offering in terms of
GUI programs (I'm a server guy), but I know for a fact that the admin
support is much better in BF2.

- The doesn't restart anymore (so it's easier to track the uptime using
a launcher script).

- The remote console server comes with python source code and you can
change anything you like there to suit your needs. Do you want
multi-level admin support w/ longer passwords? It can be written in an
hour and swapped in instead of the default implementation.

- There's a pluggable admin module system (also in python) that allows
you to tweak and change many aspects of your server's behavior. For
example, if you want to kick team-killers after two team-kills, it's
simply a matter of adding a few lines of python code and registering a
hook function.

While providing an API doesn't immediately provide excellent admin
support it makes it a lot easier for the community to come up with smart
solutions. After all, you guys run the servers and all of you have
different needs.

// Andreas