[bf1942] [OT] DC F16 problem.

Shockwave shockwave at clan-tf20.com
Tue Aug 31 08:56:54 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 02:05, James Gurney wrote:
> On 5/24/2004 12:16 PM, James Gurney wrote:
>
> > For the last few days we've been having a problem on our server with the
> > F-16 in DC. It spawns with one wheel below the ground, like this:
> >
> > http://www.cracksmokingmonkeys.net/pics/f16.jpg
>
> FYI, we found the "solution" to this problem. It's quite weird. It
> happens only when using the static version of the bf1942 engine, and
> apparently, it only happens on AMD64 machines. The annoying thing is,
> the dynamic version crashes for us 4-5 times a day, and takes an age to
> switch maps, while the static version is rock solid reliable and
> switches maps fast. For now, we've decided to run with the static
> version and live with the broken F16, for the much greater server stability.
>
> If anyone has any insights as to why it happens with one version of the
> engine, but not the other, I'd be interested to hear them :)
>
> James

Unfortunately, it appears that this problem also affects the latest
version of Fedora Core 2.  Just yesterday I upgraded from Core 1 and one
of the pilots on my team brought it to my attention.  The worst part
about this is that neither the dynamic or static versions of the
executable are immune. Both exhibit the same exact symptoms.
Incidentally, none of the negative side-effects noticed by others seem
to happen on my system with the dynamic version.  Both run flawlessly.
Well, except for the F16 problem.  :)

Regarding the system configuration, I didn't do anything special with
the load and selected all packages for installation to avoid
inadvertently omitting a key component or package.  The system is a
hyper-threaded P4 2.8GHZ box using an Intel motherboard.  I would be
happy to provide any additional information to anyone who needs it to
facilitate solving this dilemma.  While I may be able to convince my
pilots to live with this, it may not be so easy with any team we may
have to face in official competition.  I've seen a lot of bickering in
this community about minutia and I would hate to see the investment I
have made in this game server go to waste because of something trivial
like this.

Let me know what I can do to help.  Thanks!

--

|TF20|Shockwave
http://www.clan-tf20.com/
ICQ# 57671167