[bf1942] AMD FPO

Kevin Lockitt kevlar at blackbagops.com
Sun Sep 21 02:55:11 EDT 2003

The issue of SMP has been already been covered sometime ago (see
attached).

The bottom line here is that you don't need an "SMP build" to take
advantage of an SMP box. The performance gains (more likely a loss) from
the significant amount of work it would take to make an "SMP build"
would not be worth the effort. Most of the server's work is done in a
single thread and the the I/O thread spends most of its life blocked.
You can take advantage of an SMP box simply by using processor affinity
which does not require an "SMP build".

Kevin Lockitt

kevlar at blackbagops.com
www.blackbagops.com