[bf1942] Anti cheat tool

--=*dD*|Campino=-- campino at divine-devils.de
Tue Nov 18 22:31:57 EST 2003

Hello Scratch,

SM> --On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:13 AM -0800 James Gurney
SM> <james at globalmegacorp.org> wrote:

>> There's stuff that could (should) be done in the server code now that would
>> help. For example, the cheats that show where the opposing team are on the
>> minimap wouldn't work unless that data was sent to the client - so don't
>> send it in the first place. Likewise, positional data should only be sent if
>> the opposing team member is within your sphere of vision. This was how
>> Cheating Death worked with CS and it was highly successful.

SM> I assume you mean that the server does a simple distance calculation, but
SM> doesn't do any clipping calculations (which are much harder)?

SM> If you don't send enemy position information, how is the client to render an
SM> enemy who *is* in view?

I agree. A simple but effective way to make no-fog- and mini-map hacks
ineffective is that the server only send the data of players that ARE
within the allowed range of view.
On the client side the maximum range of view is set to 100% so why
don't do it serverside?
I believe it would be funny when a player "pops up" on a client where
a no-fog-cheat is enabled :D

--
Greetz,
--=*dD*|Campino=--