[bf1942] By the time BF is setup for a linux server

David Harrison trogspam at games.telstra.com
Sun May 25 21:31:53 EDT 2003

> Whilst I'm not complaining specifically, I have to disagree with your
> last statement. The fact is, these multiplayer FPS games
> (HL/CS/TFC/Unreal/BF1942/DC/Whatever) would be nothing without servers
> to play on.

> No servers to  play on = less sales of the game. More servers =
> word of mouth goes up = more sales of the game.

I totally agree, but at the same time, if we're running game servers for
popular games, and the servers don't even have a base level of
functionality, then it is more painful for US - because gamers expect us to
run servers for popular games, and we cop the heat if we don't. We're
basically almost refusing to run game servers for games that don't support a
certain level of functionality these days - stand-alone dedicated server
that is freely available, externally queryable, and unique IDs for players
being the main three things that a game really needs before it is
functionally complete enough (in my opinion) to be run by third parties.

The "more servers == more sales" thing is something I've been arguing with
local publishers here in .au for yonks and while I think they're convinced,
they have as yet been unable to convince anyone else that can actually make
these decisions. In the meantime, we're trying to run an online gaming
service that encompasses as many games as possible to help promote a
broadband product - and this is a mind-bogglingly difficult task considering
the state of most server software. So when I see guys like Andreas with an
actual, real clue that appreciate this, it makes me Very Happy.

> Please note, I'm not directing any of this against Andreas or Ryan. I
> think this is something EA/DICE as a whole should have considered far
> earlier on. Also, this is just my opinion. I'm not looking for a flame
> war, although constructive commentary is always appreciated :)

Developers and publishers still appear to not consider the importance of the
dedicated server until after its release, and even then it still doesn't
appear to get the attention it deserves. The only exception to date is
Valve, who (again, imo) are the only company to create a proper dedicated
server product (just a shame it has so many other problems :)

-- trog