[bf1942] By the time BF is setup for a linux server

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at shafted.com.au
Tue May 27 10:28:39 EDT 2003

Howdy,

> I have to concur. A Linux port really is in EAs best interest. There are
> a lot of people out there, (myself included) who have access to hot
> hardware and fat pipe in their jobs but cannot or will not run windows
> on their trusted network. The bottom line really is that Linux (or
> better yet BSD) is a much better server OS than Windows. The sad thing
> is, its the suits that make these decisions and not the geeks. Most
> suits don't even know what an operating system is.

If you think that the BF code is bad, then you probably never ran the early
Tribes 2 releases under Linux.

Yes, I've found some lag issues in some cases with the Linux code but I'm
relatively paitient.  It would be nice to migrate to a common server
platform across the board (although other games such as Raven Shield prevent
us from doing so...) although you can sometimes pick up Windows 2000
licenses pretty cheap and although they don't have remote desktop connection
support, VNC usually gets the job done in administration.

By the way, I've had no trouble running Linux game servers under FreeBSD.

Refresh my memory, what exactly ARE the BIG problems with the BF code
anyway?

.t
---
Tristan Gulyas   Game Server Administrator
zardoz at shafted.com.au  Shafted LAN Pty Ltd
http://zardoz.hotblack.net http://www.shafted.com.au/
  "We so know how to LAN"