[bf1942] By the time BF is setup for a linux server

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Sun May 25 19:46:55 EDT 2003

David Harrison wrote:
> the less time they'll be coding. You should be falling on your knees and
> begging thanks that they're even bothering a) working on a new patch (not
> something EA products are famed for after the first few months) and b)
> working on a Linux server at all.

Whilst I'm not complaining specifically, I have to disagree with your
last statement. The fact is, these multiplayer FPS games
(HL/CS/TFC/Unreal/BF1942/DC/Whatever) would be nothing without servers
to play on. Whilst EA certainly do host several pretty good servers,
there still need to be public servers hosted by other people, or the
game will not take off. EA/DICE are basically relying on fans of the
game to run servers to give customers somewhere to play. No servers to
play on = less sales of the game. More servers = word of mouth goes up =
more sales of the game.

Probably the most 'serious' people running servers on the net are going
to be using Linux for various reasons which are irrelevant in this
discussion, so this is a necessity for any game to do well. So, no, I
don't think I should be on my knees thanking them for producing a Linux
server. If they want the game to do well, this is something which needs
to be taken into consideration, and as Kevin said, it may already be too
late. Almost a year after the game was released is a long time to wait
for good solid reliable servers to be appearing on the net, and other
games are going to be coming out soon which will draw more players away.

I don't believe it's too late, I just think the game could have taken
off a lot better if the server had been released earlier.

Please note, I'm not directing any of this against Andreas or Ryan. I
think this is something EA/DICE as a whole should have considered far
earlier on. Also, this is just my opinion. I'm not looking for a flame
war, although constructive commentary is always appreciated :)

James