[bf1942] SMP

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Fri May 16 20:23:45 EDT 2003

--On Friday, May 16, 2003 3:09 PM -0700 Jon <MMmmGood at cox.net> wrote:

> Andreas, will the linuxded multithreaded to benefit from SMP systems?

That was initially removed because the benefit was minor and the
multithreading could have been causing deadlocks. With the code trees
merging again, I believe there was indication that the multithreading would
be restored, but the additional threads are used primarily for slow service
stuff like DNS lookups, not to spread the load of the main server operation.

My guess is that the engine wasn't designed for multithreading, so adding
it now would be pretty painful. It really has to be designed in from the
ground up for something this complex.