[bf1942] P4 or Athlon for server platform?

Darth BoBo rickbuford at greeblesnort.com
Mon May 12 12:07:55 EDT 2003

Last week, I purchased:
AMD 2700+ and ASUS A7N8X-DLX   : $358 shipped (www.mwave.com)
1 Gb Corsair PC3200 (DDR 400)   : $235 shipped (www.tigerdirect.com)

Put those two items in a case with a harddrive/CD and you have a working
system. The ASUS is an nForce board with 2 nic's (Nvidia and 3Com),
audio, video, 6 or 8 USB 2.0, firewire, SATA/IDE, etc... (specs:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/doc2/a19041.html)
Adding my 9800 Pro was another $400 because I couldn't wait for it to be
shipped,  but even then, yer not much more than $900US, and you could
use PC2700 or trim the cpu back to save some bucks.

Rick

--
"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
--David Letterman