AW: [bf1942] Not ready for prime time / SHOWSTOPPERS

Martin Steiger martin at steigi.com
Mon Mar 24 18:04:32 EST 2003

I'm not one of these server hosters, I'm just a usual guy who's trying to
have some fun with his clan.

In my opinion, BF1942 is one of the greatest (MP-)Games ever! The problem
is, we (my clan) have only a Linux-Server to play on. When I first looked at
the EA-site, there was a "promise" for a Linux-Server, so I thought: "Great!
That's what we need".

Ok, I'm a total noob on Linux, but I managed it to run the BF1942-server.
Well, it is buggy, that's why it's called beta... But since Ryan told us,
that this will be his last release, this mailing list (and in my opinion the
development of the Linux-server) is dead!

The last statement from DICE is 4 days old and it starts with "I checked
this with our network programmer..." I would bet, this is some poor guy on a
call- or helpdesk who's just answering with some "standard"-mails to our
requests.

As far as it concerns me, I don't longer wait for a playable linux-server,
since it clearly looks like EA (or DICE or whoever) is not interested to
support the one and only (and I'm saying that as a windows guy)
server-system.

regards, Martin