[bf1942] Coop mode uses all CPU, denies client connections

Christopher Kunz chris at de-punkt.de
Fri Mar 21 09:33:49 EST 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> I hadn't tried coop mode before this week and discovered that using it
> quickly soaks up all available CPU and makes it impossible for clients
> to connect. My ssh sessions became unresponsive (eventually they
> accepted the command to kill the server) and the server zoomed to the
> top of the list in top. Anybody connected to my TeamSpeak server dropped
> off as it was unable to relay packets (thank god for auto-reconnect!)
> and my other servers (Tribes 2) started dropping players.

Well, that's because the BF42 server uses up all physical memory, starts
swapping _REALLY_ heavily and the kernel starts killing off other processes.

There seems to be HUGE leckage somewhere in the Coop code, and it
seemingly was introduced with 1.31.

> BTW, once this works right, how do I control the number of bots, and how
> do I get them all on one team? I want to set up a passworded practice
> and use the bots as "sparring partners", so I need as many bots as
> people on my team. I then want to cycle the map to simulate match
> conditions.

The bots will disconnect one by one for each human player disconnecting,
so if you want to have them play against an all-human team, you'll have
to do nothing.

Upon disconnection of one human user, a bot will connect again.

However, if you want to pit, like, 2 human players against 62 bots, I
don't know how to manage that. I think that's not possible.

--ck

--
php development | hosting |  housing | professional game server hosting
http://www.de-punkt.de   [ chris at de-punkt.de ]    http://www.stormix.de