[bf1942] DICE update: in-house Linux server

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Mar 18 13:02:58 EST 2003

More details:

> - Panzerabwehr/Bazooka reloads twice (remaining ammo gets decreased
> twice too)

Not sure what causes this; possibly a timing issue (the i/o thread is
disabled in the Linux server and it polls the UDP socket in the main loop
instead, but you can reenable it if you feel there aren't any race
conditions).

> - When running a Road to Rome map, nobody can connect to the server

Apparently the server wasn't responding (or responding incorrectly) to the
CD key GameSpy query for RtR, so the win32 client hangs at that point. I
recall someone saying they got around this by replacing the GameSpyHost
library with the one from 1.2. Possibly a mismerge bug on my part.

> - There's a bug (i call it "Bungee"-effect), that let the player turn
> back some degrees when turning or pulling the player back some
> steps/meters when running/driving

The current speculation is that the server is rejecting a large portion of
a given client's packets, so they get to move forward due to client-side
prediction and get snapped back when the server updates them again...but
they DO move forward a little with each update, so some amount of packets
_are_ getting through. Look around for stuff about "ActionBuffer".

This doesn't happen to everyone, and I couldn't reproduce it. There
isn't an obvious connection between those that have this problem. Might
also be a timing thing (i.e. - timestamps are strange on the Linux/win32
side and confuses the other.)

I would _love_ to hear the solution to this one.

> - When trying to zoom, the view jumps back to normal view immediately

Probably the same bug as the "bungie" bug and the reload-twice bug.

> - Don't know if it still exists, but it was in the 1.3 build:
> Within the servernames or the welcome messages, spaces must be
> replaced with underscores

This is probably a mismerge on my part, as spaces apparently worked in
1.2. I threw a hack in there to allow underscores to work as spaces. Look
for the details in Bugzilla.

> By the way:
> There's a feature in the linux builds that should be build in the
> windows server:
> the server password can be changed via the remote console on linux
> servers with game.serverpassword
> On windows servers I just get an errormessage...

Uh...this wasn't my doing. Not sure why this works on Linux, or if this
guy is just wrong.

However, there are some other things (being able to set the gamespy/ASE
port via the .ini files, fixing ASE and GameSpy opening the same port,
etc) that _should_ go back to the win32 codebase. Also, the #ifdef
DEDICATED sections could be very useful for win32 servers, since it
removes the overhead of the window interface and reliance on DirectX, etc,
making it a stdio app. This hasn't been tried on Windows, and will take
more cleaning up, but a lot of windows admins had asked about it.

--ryan.