[bf1942] the pure / unpure server issue - need clarification

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Jun 4 02:40:08 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, June 04, 2003 7:39 AM +0600 "--=*dD*|Campino=--"
<campino at divine-devils.de> wrote:

> I think that the init.con HAS TO BE checked as it is the place to load
> modifications. If it won't get checked it's easy for people loading
> "hacks" and "cheats" that aren't in the BF directory....

Better to list the mods internally as they're loaded. After all, the program
has the file name in hand at that point, so it knows what it's pulling into
memory.

> The files should get checked periodically during a map to prevent people
> installing "hacks" and "cheats" AFTER they connectet to a specific
> server

A CRC check is not without cost. That's a heavy amount of disk I/O. Presumably
one checks a file as it's first read from disk, but I don't know if they're
only read partially and on demand, which would prevent a proper CRC check, or
once on initial program load, or at each map change, or what. This could
potentially affect initial startup time or map change time.